Interview with Tony Bhullar CEO of Laser Sheer
An Entrepreneur and Beauty Industry Consultant, with over 20 years as solid, reputable and savvy businessman, Tony Bhullar helps people feel beautiful and stay healthy. He believes that despite the global economy struggling to recover from financial downturns in this generation, today marks the true renaissance in self-employment. Franchise opportunities in the Health and Beauty Industry deliver a dream, a great income and a flexible, balanced and fulfilling lifestyle. What Tony and LaserSheer™ offers beyond other franchisors, is the opportunity to be trained, supported and guided 100% of the time on how to run the day-to-day aspects of a business. Find out how you can become a successful business owner in an industry that is of value and profitable. LaserSheer™ (WEM) offers skin rejuvenation, acne healing, varicose veins reduction and more.
BeTheBoss - Tell us about the LaserSheer™ concept.
Tony Bhullar - The number one reason people don't think to get started with their own businesses is because they're concerned about not being able to do it alone.
And the number one reason people who do get started don't succeed is that they run out of momentum and lose confidence along the way.
So with Dr. Paul’s medical experience in dermatology and my business experience, we figured out how to make sure neither of those scenarios happens to people who franchise with us.
The secret? Being held to a schedule and having dozens of other people to help you and support you. It makes all the difference. We could have a new franchisee up and running in 90 days – that’s how effective our support and training is.
Plus, we did the research. The Health and Beauty industry is thriving and there is a need for acne treatments and hair removal. Franchising is the supportive alternative to starting your own business from scratch.
BTB - How and when did you become involved with LaserSheer™?
TB - In India where I originally came from, I worked for Sunetics International www.Sunetics.com. I learned about lasers and what they could do for beauty and health. I then became a distributor of the equipment and held the rights to sell Sunetics lasers for the whole of Asia. After coming to Canada, in 2002, I opened my own clinic, LaserSheer and offered laser hair removal and skin rejuvenation.
I am proud of the fact that at that time, I also owned the first Acne Clinic of Canada which was opened in LaserSheer (WEM) as the first model clinic. It was originally owned by the world famous dermatologist Dr. Jaggi Rao who is the first Canadian physician licensed for laser use in Canada and the USA. With his mentoring and support I purchased and expanded the acne clinic concept as part of LaserSheer.
Now this is important to note. You see, Sunetics lasers are only sold to medical doctors and in April of 2009, my team and I organized and sponsored the 2009 India Trichology Symposium in Chandigarh, India for physicians specializing in the practice of dermatology. The Chandigarh Dermatology Society (CDS) provides continuing education to physicians specializing in dermatological treatments to the skin and scalp and gave the Indian public the latest information on dermatological treatments like medical hair restoration and non-surgical treatment for hair loss.
This experience added with Dr. Paul’s credibility is what adds to our success as a viable franchise opportunity. Our training and support services are unlike any other laser hair removal franchise opportunity because we actually have our own training facilities right here. And the best part is that we offer the franchise aspect to both non-medical as well as medical experienced franchisees.
BTB - What was your background prior to joining LaserSheer™?
TB - I graduated top of my class as a mechanical engineer in India. I also became a 3 time Boxing Champion at the time I started work for Sunetics International. I became a licensed distributor of laser hair removal equipment.
Paul Zakrzewski, graduated from the University of Alberta School of Medicine and is the Founder of the MD SPA and Laser Clinic in Meadowlark and Beaumont, Alberta.
Dr. Paul provides full cosmetic consultations, performs laser treatments for skin and veins, and with care and passion and our Clients feel more beautiful with Botox®, cosmetic fillers, and (Sciton) laser treatments.
He considers cosmetology to be a blend of art, science and high-tech equipment and spends enough time with the clients to leave them feeling extremely happy with the results of his work. Skin Resurfacing with new ProFractional Sciton Lasers are considered by Dr. Paul to be truly revolutionary procedures in Aesthetic medicine.
BTB - What are some of the advantages in being a LaserSheer™ ?
TB - Benefits of owning a Laser Sheer franchise include:
- Opportunity to be a market leader in a fast growing industry – hair removal, acne treatments, skin rejuvenation and microdermabrasion.
- Receive full training (and retraining) in LaserSheer’s own facilities in West Edmonton Mall. Training includes aspects of the business, laser equipment operation, hair, and wrinkle and blemish removal.
- Ongoing support in industry trends, breakthrough marketing techniques, location selection and full business set-up as soon as 90 days.
- Discounts (10%) on equipment when ordered through LaserSheer.
- Be in control of your future with ownership and self-employment.
BTB - Who is your ideal franchisee?
TB - The ideal would be women and men who have an aptitude for running a business, committed to helping people, willing to work hard and long in the beginning stages to build a viable, trustworthy clientele and be quick learners.
BTB - Tell us a little about the Hair Removal (Health and Beauty) Market?
TB - According to ehow.com, from a direct result of people's busy lives, laser hair removal centers have thrived for those looking to shave and wax less frequently. Most people choose to have permanent hair removal for professional reasons, while others for simple vanity. As a result the industry is competitive and lucrative. What separates LaserSheer from similar services is that the staff and professionals treat their customers with respect, confidence and develop a loyalty that brings clients back frequently. Our ongoing support is that extra mile we take to guarantee our franchisees believe they’ve made the right decision.
BTB - What are some of the greatest lessons you’ve learned in growing this franchise?
TB - Despite the competition, we learned to keep our prices competitive. That means we don’t undercut or over price. Service, caring and helping people sells better than cutting prices. We offer no false promises, we deliver results.
BTB - Do you have a mentor and is there someone you use for inspiration?
TB - Dr. Paul of course is a huge contributor and mentor of mine. His experience in cosmetology offers the right mix of technology with common sense. One of the first people who really helped me get started was Dr. Jaggi Rao, a board-certified dermatologist, laser specialist, trainer and has been instrumental in helping us learn and appreciate this business.
BTB - What advice do you have for someone looking to acquire a Franchise?
TB - From both business and aesthetic points of view here is a list of what anyone looking to purchase a franchise needs to know:
- Have an interest in the franchise you are looking to purchase. In this case, a desire to work in the health and beauty industry, particularly in laser hair removal and skin rejuvenation. If you’re a non-medical person, you can get started with a $20,000 franchise fee. If you’re a medical doctor, the fees are $30,000 which includes added training on laser equipment. That’s very reasonable for the potential this industry offers today and in the future.
- Understand that franchises have a set order of regulations and processes that work – having differing opinion is welcomed but not always implemented.
- Research our royalty program. We waive royalties your first year in operation because we understand it can be stressful to earn income the first several months to a year. LaserSheer supports your training in business, marketing as well as laser use.
- Ask questions. Never assume we handle all your concerns. Ask us what the franchise fee covers, what the added marketing, location set-up and such costs. And of course ask us about our ongoing support and training.
- Be prepared to work longer hours your first several months. And be prepared to hire professional staff to keep your business viable and running smoothly.
BTB - In your opinion, why do you think that LaserSheer would be a great opportunity for someone?
TB - We believe that LaserSheer is a solid, profitable franchise opportunity that also offers:
- Indepth and continuous training and support in laser hair removal in our own facilities. That means you don’t have to go elsewhere for training.
- In special circumstances, LaserSheer offers financial support.
- Members of BBB (Better Business Bureau) and CFA (Canadian Franchise Association)
- You get support finding a suitable location.
- Help in hiring and training staff.
- In as little as 90 days, arrange for advertising and promotions to plan a Grand Opening Celebration.
- Franchise royalties are waived your first year and renegotiated in your second year of operation.