Duncan has achieved a thirty year career in franchising sales which has included retail, real estate and restaurant concepts. He completed an executive MBA program from the Canadian School of Management in the 1980’s and has sat on several industry boards most recently as Chair, Franchising of the Toronto Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Duncan has been an active speaker for such organizations as; The Canadian Franchise Association, George Brown College, Enterprise Toronto and Graphics Canada.
A Toronto born resident, he has a large extended family that keeps him busy, including his soon to be 98 year old mother whom he frequently visits. Duncan is active in his local tennis club both as a player, and as part of the club’s executive.
BeTheBoss: Tell us about the Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa concept.
Duncan Macpherson: Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa provides affordably priced, high-quality massage and facial services. We are situated in convenient locations and provide a comfortable environment which keeps customers coming back for more.
With a proven membership-based business model, our franchisees enjoy a recurring revenue stream found in few franchise concepts.
BTB: How and when did you become involved with Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa?
DM: I knew this concept was a big success in the US, so when I heard it was coming to Canada I approached the master franchisee about heading up franchise development for this country. I started in June of 2010.
BTB: What was your background prior to joining Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa franchise?
DM: I have been successful in franchise sales for twenty plus years, with several leading retail concepts.
BTB: What are some of the advantages in being a Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa franchisee?
- Recurring Revenue – membership based concept
- Lifestyle Business - franchisee sets their own hours to work
- Extended Health Benefits – RMT’s provide receipt for customer re-imbursement
- Technology Based Business – software enables ownership of multiple locations
- Strong Franchisee Network – franchisee marketing committee participates in growth
- Turnkey Operation – training, marketing, build-out and hiring support
BTB:Who is your ideal franchisee?
DM: People management skills or small business experience preferred.
BTB: Tell us a little about the Massage Industry in Canadian Market?
DM: According to the Canadian Tourism Commission, a federal agency, massage has been growing in Canada at a 17% annual rate.
BTB: What are some of the greatest lessons you’ve learned in growing this franchise?
DM: It’s all about fit, picking the right franchisees to join our growing family!
BTB: Do you have a mentor and is there someone you use for inspiration?
DM:I’ve learned a little from each company I’ve been associated with. Learning is an ongoing process and you need to be open to new ideas in this fast changing world.
BTB: What advice do you have for someone looking to acquire a Franchise?
DM: Firstly, is this the work environment you’ll enjoy being a part of? Secondly, does this meet your financial objectives and is it a growing industry poised for long term success?
BTB: In your opinion, why do you think that (Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa) would be a great opportunity for someone?
- You’re in business for yourself not by yourself – Canadian head office support
- Franchisor has 35 years of franchising experience
- A proven concept now in its 10th year of operation
- This industry is part of the fast growing health & wellness field
- You are growing a business you can be proud of – you’re helping people get more out of their lives!